Saturday, May 7, 2016

RandomReview: Buffalo Classic USB Controller For PC

Accessory Review: Buffalo Classic USB Controller For PC

This going to be a short review. There isn’t that much to say here, really.
So I wanted a USB controller to play emulated games on my PC. I checked Amazon for something retro. I found this controller from a company titled “Buffalo.” You should see it above. It looks like a Super Famicom controller, which is pretty cool.
First off, the controller is pretty lightweight. It fits in your hands nicely, but it doesn’t feel flimsy to me at all. It’s just very light. It’s perfect for tossing across the room when you get angry at a game, surely. The cord is a decent size, which is very useful. The face buttons push well and feel nice to press, although the d-pad feels a bit rubbery. That might turn some people off, but I’m fine with it. The Select and Start buttons are a bit hard to push at first as well. After some breaking in, they should be fine. As for the L and R buttons, they work just fine.
There’s a Turbo and Clear button in the center, but they don’t seem to be working with my PC. I don’t want to pin this on the controller outright, since I may be doing something wrong. I just want to point that out beforehand, since they don’t seem to be working properly. If you can figure out how to get them working, then please go ahead and say so.
I put the controller to the test with Pokemon FireRed. As well all know, the A button gets absolutely abused in Pokemon games. So I played a few hours with it and broke it in. It feels like the button got pushed in a bit, actually. Like it looks as if it’s lower than the rest of the buttons now. Weird. The button still works fine, though.
One other thing I noticed was that the right button on the d-pad randomly presses itself at times. This can be troublesome at times, especially when I was playing something like Pokemon. I want to use Tackle, not Growl! I know it’s not just me, based on the Amazon reviews. So this is definitely something wrong with the controller itself.
Overall, the controller is my go-to for playing on an emulator now, but you could do a lot better than this one. It’s around 12 bucks on Amazon, but I don’t think I can recommend it. It’s okay, but not good. If you have the extra money to spend, that yeah, go for it. If you’re on a budget, I’d say you should stick with alternatives instead, unless you can deal with the detriments this controller has.
6/10
Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment