Friday, March 25, 2016

RandomReview: Fallout 4's Automatron DLC - Quick Review (Spoiler-Free!) (Xbox One)



Fallout 4 was amazing! It pains me when people say that 4 was disappointing, to be honest. Like, my chest actually hurts. Feels like all the hours I put into it so far was wasted until I get over what they said. That's just me, though. The game is great. Gameplay wise, Fallout 3 can't hold a candle to it. It's just not comfortable, you know? I even tried replaying both FO3 and New Vegas recently to get a feel for why they could be better, but I can't see it. They honestly aren't in terms of gameplay. That said, I don't mind talking about its shortcomings as well. If you don't like it, fine - but by no means say it's not good. Because it definitely is a good game - a fact that can't be denied, even by the stubborn fanbase the franchise has. That's a rant for a different time, though. For every disappointed fan, a new one replaced them. Simple as that.
Automatron is here, though! Is it worth it? Well, in this short blog I'll detail it for you! Spoiler-free, I promise.
This is a Quick Review. Just a quick synopsis of the pros and cons before I inform you of my opinion on whether you should buy it or not.
Cons
If you're looking for substantial story from this DLC, don't bother. You won't find it here, trust me. The story is only about five quests long and culminates into a lackluster finale that begs for more. Unless you want the Mechanist outfit, or you want to see some bonus lines from the Silver Shroud when they confront the Mechanist - you won't get much story from this.
Jezebel is the worst. You'll meet her during the QuestLine. How can a robot be so insulting? She will basically beg to be killed once she's built. It got to the point where I made a video in which I blew her up with a mini nuke. What a useless and rude character.
Not enough new content in terms of weapons or armor. Besides the aforementioned Mechanist outfit, there's only one new set of armor pieces to go along with the only new weapon included. Unless I'm missing something, that means I'm only getting 1 new weapon, 1 new armor piece type, and 1 new outfit.
I didn't notice many companion affinity changes in this one at all. I only saw a "Piper liked that" once in the entire DLC. They don't comment on anything, or have swap comments with the bots at all. I did hear that Nick has a lot of Affinity changes in this one, but I haven't tried him out yet. Very sad, though. Companions are one of the best features of Fallout 4, and I'd like to hear some more quotes from them. I understand why, though. All the VAs would have to be brought in again, which costs time and money for just a five-quest long DLC. Still, though. Why can't X6 say something about the Institute using these bots?
Pros
Building robots is what you'll get this DLC for. After completing the QuestLine, all the mods will be unlocked for you to use. You can collect armor pieces from destroyed bots to use them for your own bots. The bots function as companions, so more companions! Awesome. You can send them to protect different settlements too, if you wish. Bots also don't judge you, so if you're worried about affecting their affinity - don't. You can kill settlers in front of them and they won't care.
Pimp my Codsworth. I can finally mod and adjust Codsworth to my pleasing. Have him as a companion while using the Robot Workshop, and you can literally change him into a Sentry Bot if you want to. This works for Curie too before her personal quest.
Roaming bots and the Rust Devils. Robots will roam the Wasteland on a whim, and can be encountered randomly. The Rust Devils are a brand new type of raider gang, who love tech. The game has been programmed to treat the Rust Devils as a hostile faction as well, so you may even find them attacking your settlements! I had a group of them attack Bunker Hill in my game.
Difficulty is definitely ramped up. I play on Normal for the most part, since I feel like the enemies slip too far on each end of the spectrum. Normal feels just right in my opinion. This DLC, though? I was getting wrecked by robots at times. The eye laser Assaultrons are no joke. Only some clever quick-saving saved me from their wrath. The fact that they play the Deathclaw music over Assaultron encounters only adds to the feeling of a challenge. So people who feel like vanilla Fallout was too easy can expect the DLC to deliver on ramping it up. Bethesda really delivered there.
Bottom Line
This is tricky. It's one of those DLCs that isn't for everybody, you know?
If you're looking for more story content, then you should probably pass on it and wait for Far Harbor. Or wait for the modding kit to release, which will allow people to make custom quests.
If you like being creative, this is totally for you. Definitely go out and get it. My productivity is slacking from all the robots I've been grinding to create. The amount of customization available is amazing.
If you are somewhere in between, I'd say you should put some thought into it first. If you like the process of post-game FO4 (Do Radiant quests while grinding Companion affinity in order to build settlements, weapons, and armor.), then you'll appreciate something extra to do. It'll definitely hold you off until the next DLC.
Overall, I really love it so far. I have so many robotic companions now that I just love. It's really fun to build and mold something at your discretion with all the options at your disposal. I could make literal mini-tanks out of bots if I wanted to, which is unbelievably cool. Very lackluster in story, though. I wanted somebody special to take the place of the Mechanist, to be honest. Maybe Butch! The Mechanist has a Pip-Boy after all, right? Tunnel Snakes Rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment